Thursday, March 5, 2009

National Russian Essay Contest Results

from Smoke & Scales:

Nearly 1200 students nationwide competed in the National Russian Essay Contest, administered by the American Council of Teachers of Russian. Honorees have already received their certificates and medals.

In the list below, “B” stands for Beginners (those who’ve completed one year of Russian study), and “I” stands for Intermediate students (two years).

Gold medalists: Deanna Gulick (B), Luke Haushalter (B), Kaitlan Lawrence (B), Patrick Monk (B), Eric Sawchak (I), Lindsey Toiaivao (I), Josh Wilson (I), Ryan Akens (B), Jerry Carlson (B), and Ramin Haidari (I)

Silver medalists: Erik Fox (B), Matthew Childs (I), Leaf Elhai (I), Ese Shaw (B), Ben Eichler (B), Jack Fechino (B), Emma England (I), and Matthew Gizzi (I)

Bronze medalists: Matthew Burnette (I), Winston Wu (B), Karthik Ilakkuvan (I), Caroline Wren Martin (I), John Surface (I), and Hillary Hurd (I)

Honorable Mention: Holly Brown (I), Sarah Johnson (I)

Congratulations to all!